Brockville, Ontario – 20 June 2015: Just four days prior to his 95th birthday, Comrade Mann was awarded his 65-year service pin by Comrade Sue Guerin, President of RMR Association (Br. 14). Several members of the RMR Association made the trip to Brockville to present him with his 65 year Service Pin as a member of the Branch.
They also presented him with a commemorative medal that marks the 90th anniversary of The Royal Canadian Legion, being celebrated between June 2015 and June 2016.
Comrade Mann joined the RMR in 1939 and he landed in Scotland before being sent off to Aldershot for further training. He served throughout the entire Second World War and he was also part of the Liberation of the Netherlands.
Along with two other RMR veterans from WW2, Major David Peebles and Lieutenant John Tough, Comrade Mann were asked by the Honorary Colonel, Colonel J.C. Pratt, to build a Museum in the RMR in time for the Regiment’s 60th anniversary to be celebrated in November 1974. A suitable location was given to them – a room off the drill floor – and WAMA (precursor to today’s RMR Foundation) arranged financial assistance to fund the new project. At once, the design was launched, building materials were purchased and the construction of cabinets, shelves and other requirements proceeded. As it was, the final touches were completed about one hour prior to the official opening on Friday 20th September 1974 by Brigadier W.S.G. Armour, M.B.E., the Colonel of the Prince of Wale’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire, the RMR’s British Allied Regiment, and it was dedicated to the memory of the achievements and sacrifices of the members of the Regiment.